Backend Founding Engineers – Ground Floor – InsurTech – US Startup – Remote
Full Job Description
Our Client: Our predictive risk models have been trained with nearly 200 billion miles of driving data and tested with hundreds of thousands of paying drivers with industry-leading underwriting results. And we’re just getting started.
Our leadership team includes serial entrepreneurs, insurance industry savants and start-up veterans. We’ve raised $42M from leading VCs as well as insurtech, fintech and technology industry angel investors.
- 7+ years in software design & development, writing and maintaining production-grade software that is designed to be performant, scalable and resilient
- Good technical depth and production experience with modern Web and Data pipeline architecture such as HTTP APIs and related protocols, Message brokers like Kafka, Relational databases like Postgresql, Stream processing frameworks such as Spark, Kafka Streams, Flink, etc
- Demonstrated expertise with a modern programming language – we use Python – well versed with applying paradigms such as OOP, Functional, etc where needed.
- Good Systems and network fundamentals and experience working in containerized Linux environments in the cloud (we use AWS)
- Understanding of Statistical and ML models is a plus
- Excellent verbal/written communication skills
- Self-driven and able to work independently
- Comfortable working in a highly agile, intensely iterative software development process
- Lead initiatives with a product mindset to delight our customers and take end-to-end ownership of technical design, architecture, and implementation in accordance with engineering principles to deliver products that are robust and performant
- Review and evaluate technical architecture from a birds-eye view to proactively identify areas of improvement in terms of long-term stability, scalability, and extensibility – implementing solutions that have platform-wide impact
- Develop an intimate understanding of major software components for eg. the distributed systems for the incentivised dynamic pricing engine (which allows us to measure, rate and price risks), the driver scoring models, near real-time data streams, etc
- Provide mentoring/technical guidance to junior team members and contribute to consistently raising the bar for engineering best practices such as coding standards, writing well-tested, extensible and reusable libraries
- Exemplify and foster our humble, collaborative and impact-obsessed culture
Write to us at email@example.com to get started!